Monday, November 3, 2014

Paul Toevs Creason

Well, we have a new man around the house. Paul was born on February 18th at 3:58 pm. The week leading up to his birth was pretty uncomfortable for me. The Thursday before he came I felt like I was going into labor. I had Sam come home until my mom could get down to help me with the girls. I was achy and feverish and had the chills. I just rested at home all day and we ordered some Thai food for dinner. After we ate a little we took off for the hospital. Turns out I had a high fever and his heartrate was really high, so they pumped me full of fluids and tylenol and cooled me off, which helped Paul's heart to settle down. They don't know what it was, a virus or something, but we spent the night there. I looked at the clock, the bassinett and the contraction monitor heart rate monitor all night long, hoping things might pick up and I would leave with a baby...I didn't. SO, the rest of the weekend was spent recovering and resting and having contractions. On Monday my parents came down and took us to lunch at Rooster's. I was quite uncomfortable and huge.
  Tuesday night I slept terribly and woke up wondering if that was going to be the day...
Sam had a hearing scheduled in Orofino, and I mentioned I was a little nervous for him to go, but that I was sure nothing was going to happen. So we ate some eggs and toast and I was sitting at the table drawing a treehouse on an napkin for Evie Jane and drinking my coffee when POP! my water broke. Good thing Sam hadn't left yet. Maggie ran around yelling "Everybody, panic with joy!" Sam called his mom and changed out of his suit and I went upstairs to change and brush my teeth and throw last minute things into our hospital bag. I couldn't believe this was it. We were so excited and scared. Marsha got to our place and we hugged the girls and they hugged baby brother one last time while he was still inside and off we went!
  Labor started out a little scary with Paul's heart rate not doing what they like to see, so I got some oxygen and fluids and antibiotics going and switched positions. Eventually it settled down and then it got really high again, but finally we were both in the groove of contractions. I just wanted to lie on the bed and try to breathe, so I did. Sam got coffee, paced the room and rubbed my back, got me ice, etc. Everything moved along at a good, steady pace and he was born healthy and he seemed so big to me! I got to cut his cord, which was extra thick the nurses said.

No comments: